Memory Verse for the Upcoming Week:
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16
(Remember that your child is expected to recite the verse and reference on Thursday)
This quarter we will begin to have at least one dictation sentence as part of our spelling test on Friday. The sentences will include words that follow the spelling rules that we have learned or are high frequency words. In addition to spelling the words correctly, we will be be grading students on using capital and lowercase letters in the correct places and using the correct punctuation marks. You can start practicing the sentences now, but we’ll also practice writing the sentence each Monday on the bac of our Study List paper.
Dictation Sentence for the Upcoming Week:
The rich man shut the chest.
Week in Review:
Religion: Wise men worship Jesus; Simeon and Anna
Reading: We worked with the story George Washington and the General’s Dog; met with our new reading groups; worked with stories by our new author of the month, Helen Lester
Phonics/Spelling: Continued working with high frequency words; reviewed long vowels that follow the sneaky e rule (tap becomes tape when the e is added to the end) and the digraph sh; introduced the digraph ch
Handwriting: Practiced the lowercase letter j; reviewed magic c letters; practiced where words sit on the handwriting lines
Math: We practiced adding 2 to even and odd numbers; covered designs with pattern blocks and graphed how many we used; looked for patterns to solve problems
Science: We continued our unit on light, using lights and mirrors to communicate and worked with reflections
- The First Grade classes will be having a Garage Sale in February to support students at CCLS-Uganda. More information and a sign-up sheet is in your child’s folder today.
- 2nd Quarter Report Cards are being sent home today. There are no official conferences at this time, but let your child’s teacher know if you would like to meet. Please return the signed envelope as soon as possible. Thank you!
- Our field trip to the Sheldon Concert Hall has been rescheduled for Thursday, January 24th. Please let your child’s teacher know by Wednesday, January 16th if you would like to join us for this field trip.
- Book orders are being sent home today. Please return them by Friday, January 18th.
- National Lutheran Schools Week is January 28th-February 1st. Information will be sent home soon regarding the school-wide service project we’ll be completing, and the out of uniform options for the week.